Basketball Seating Logic Puzzle
At a recent High School basketball
game, the incoming freshmen were expected to sit together in one
particular section of the bleachers where the
teachers could keep an eye on them.
Accordingly each of the 20 members of the
class was assigned a specific seat
in a special area over in
the lower corner of the stands. The Freshman seating section consisted
of 4 rows, 5 students to a row.
Seats 101 through 105 formed the front row, with 201 through 205
directly behind the first row, 301 through 305 the third row, and 401
through 405 on the fourth row.
From the following clues, can you give the studentsí full names and
list the exact the seat number where each
1. The Jefferson child and the Richter child were watching their
first-ever basketball game.
2. There were exactly ten boys and ten girls.
3. The first and last names of one student who sat in the front row
began with the same letter.
4. Patricia and the Clinton girl sat as far apart as possible; the
same was true of the Carter boy and Alice.
5. The Davidson girl sat directly (but not necessarily immediately)
behind Theo, who sat immediately behind the Lewis girl.
6. The following four students were in the same row: the Anderson
girl, the Bixby boy, Theo, and Janet.
7. Carlton sat immediately behind the Walters girl.
8. Nick and the Langdon girl sat at opposite ends of one row; Patricia
and the Forrester girl sat at opposite ends of another row.
9. The Olson boy sat immediately in front of Gerald and immediately
behind the Eaton girl, who sat immediately behind William.
10. A boy sat in Seat 403.
11. Beverly sat between two boys; Bailey sat between two girls.
12. The Carter boy sat directly (but not necessarily immediately) in
front of the Howland boy, who sat immediately in front of Patricia.
13. Lawrence, Marilyn, Sandy, and the Morrison boy were all in the
14. Diana had wanted to sit with her boyfriend Dave, but was
disappointed to find her assigned seat was two rows behind his.
15. Lawrence was not in Seat 105.
16. Louisa Langdon sat two seats directly behind Marilyn.
17. The Sullivan boy and the Tillman girl sat in the same row, which
was two rows behind the Ives girl's.
18. Ralph was in Seat 103.
19. Janet sat immediately in front of a boy.
20. Victoria was not in Seat 205.
21. The Ponder boy sat immediately behind Theo.
22. Franklin was not the Olson boy
23. Carlton's last name is not Ashton.
24. The Ashton boy sat two seats directly behind Karolyn.
First of all, print out a giant copy of
that Seating Chart. I solved the puzzle putting names of
likely 'suspects' in each room and kept crossing people off my
list till only one remained.
Hint: Keep very careful
track of the gender of each student. I got several hits this
This puzzle is a neat challenge, I assure
you! I am not saying this puzzle is easy, but it is so
wonderful you won't mind. I had so much fun with it, I went back
and did again the next day just for the heck of it!
Email your answers to Rick Archer,