Royal Rife
Home Up Morris Fishbein

1 - Current Status 2 - Medical Conspiracy 3 - Burzynski 4 - Royal Rife 45 - Morris Fishbein 6 - Medical Mysteries 7 - Civil War 8 - Twisted Golden Rule 9 - Corruption

Cancer Diaries

Part Four: Royal Rife

Written by Rick Archer
September 2013


I have made little effort to disguise my shock and contempt for the people who have gone out of their way to suppress natural cures for cancer.  In their desperate attempt to hang onto the existing ineffective and quite painful chemotherapy-radiation-surgery treatment commonly used today, millions have died and millions have suffered.  Their motive appears to be money, the so-called root of all evil.

In the process, I have been accused of maligning the Medical Establishment.

I grow weary of having you repeatedly malign the motives of "the medical establishment" and the intelligence and the commitment to the health of their patients of physicians who do not agree with your point of view.

If I given anyone else a similar impression, please accept my profound apology.  My Cancer Diaries are hardly an indictment of the entire Medical Community. 


Who Are the Guilty Ones?

When I rail against the "Medical Establishment", in truth I speak of only a handful of shadowy, morally-bereft human beings whose greed has caused them to systematically impede the search for an alternative cure for cancer for over eighty years.

Just to help keep track, Chapter One covered the creative spark for these cancer diaries.  It all began in 2012 with a perfect storm combination of events.  First came my daughter's involvement in raising funds for cancer research, then came my brother-in-law's losing fight with cancer using conventional methods, and then came the scathing criticism from a friend, Mr. Skeptical, who berated me for supporting mainstream cancer treatment.

Mr. Skeptical pointed me to a documentary Cancer - the Forbidden Cures.  That video was an eye-opener to put it mildly.  This video became the inspiration for Chapter Two.  After detailing the woes associated with Essiac, Hoxsey, Gerson, and Laetrile, I intended to stop right there.

However, just before I could shut the door, the amazing story of Stanislaw Burzynski's harassment appeared before my eyes.  Shocked and appalled, I revealed the details of his Promethean struggles in Chapter Three

It really seems to me like the more I learn, the worse it gets.  There seems to be no end to further stories of alternative cancer cures that were suppressed.  Gerd Hamer, Shark Cartilage, Mistletoe, Tullio Simoncini (baking soda), W.F. Koch (glyoxylide), Emanuel Revici, Gaston Naessens (714-X), Ernest Krebs (laetrile), Antoine Prioré, Virginia Livingston-Wheeler, Krebiozen, Luigi de Bella, Coley's Toxins, Issels Treatment, Johanna Budwig (diet), Johanna Brandt (grapes), Ghadiali, and Nicholas Gonzalez.  The list just keeps growing.

Every single story reads virtually the same way.  A health practitioner observes something that works and investigates.  To their surprise, it appears to cure cancer.  Anecdotal stories emerge of patients condemned to die by conventional doctors who are magically cured. They sing the praises of their heroes.

Everyone is happy until the bad guy shows up.  Some thug representing organized medicine inevitably spoils the party and all hell breaks loose.  The practitioner is ostracized by their peers, denied publication, ridiculed by leading medical authorities, and debunked in quackwatch.  Some are even taken to court, the 'ultimate compliment'. 

The healer's life is ruined and patients are shocked at how their savior was treated.  And then someone writes stories of conspiracy and persecution on the Internet.  And then eventually I stumble on it and get more disgusted.

I can't possibly validate each story.  I get familiar with what happened, then file it away for future reference.  But once in a while, I take a step back and look at the big picture.  The one thing that always sticks in the back of my mind is this:

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Or is there fire?  Is it all just my imagination?   Maybe!!   After all, every single one of the cures I listed above has been debunked in Wikipedia.  Every single cure is listed on Quackwatch.  If you don't want to take my word for it, pick one at random and look for yourself. 

I picked one cure I didn't know much about at random and found a fun anecdote.  It was written by William Kelley Eidem, author of "The Doctor Who Cures Cancer".  Eidem's hero was a doctor named Emanuel Revici.  Eidem has this quote:

"Dr. John Heller had been the medical director of Sloan Kettering for ten years.  One day he told me he had known of Revici for ten years.  He then went on to say he'd seen people walk in dead and walk out alive from Revici's clinic.  Heller added that he didn't know how Revici did it.  Heller's Sloan-Kettering office was only blocks from Revici's clinic, yet in ten years not once did he ever bother to visit to find out the answer.  Heller never did find a cure for cancer, nor did Sloan-Kettering."  [ source ]

No matter which therapy one chooses to investigate, assume this alternative cure will have a long line of detractors.  And yet every one of the stories has amazing tales to tell of how well the cure really did work till they shut it down.  This basic contradiction exists in every single story.

So who is right and who is wrong? 

Don't ask me, I am the guide, not the source.  The one thing I can say is that I believe every single one of these stories really did take place.  Every single story comes complete with pictures, dates, names, places, events, anecdotes, patients speaking on camera, plus detailed explanations of how the therapy was supposed to work.  And then Wikipedia announces the cure has been debunked, so it is officially discredited.

Although I cannot say which of these various alternative cures actually worked or not, what I can say is I believe every single one of these people exist or existed and that they were all treated miserably in the process of trying to help cure people.

I am serious.  No one goes to all the trouble of writing these horrible tales of woe unless they are upset and in pain.  Ask me.  I should know.  I did not begin writing these cancer articles because I was bored and randomly picked 'medicine' out of a hat to write mean tirades about.  I began because I was deeply upset about my brother in law's imminent death and determined to look for answers.

These stories have been written by people who think an injustice has been done.  On the right is an example of what I am talking about. It was written by an "Essiac" practitioner.  Is it true?  Beats me, but it is interesting. 

Once I got immersed in the story of alternative cure suppression, it just kept getting worse... and worse... and worse.  I am now convinced there is no end to the bottomless pit of stories alluding to abuses and corruption.

Oh, sure, there can be no doubt somebody exaggerated a tale or added a fib here and there, but in the end one overriding truth emerges:

From the stories floating around on the Internet, it becomes increasingly obvious that certain individuals representing the Medical Establishment have spent the past eighty years going to extraordinary lengths to eradicate several potential cures. 

Stanislaw Burzynski, the focus of my previous story, is simply the latest in a long line of people who have been persecuted. 

But here's a shocker.  In some ways, this next story might be the worst. Out of all of the "alleged" cures for cancer, this is the one that probably worked.


Royal Rife

On a personal note, I assumed that after reading of the Burzynski trials, I had heard the worst of it.  I was wrong.  This story depressed me terribly.

I will begin by asking an interesting question.

What do you suppose would happen to a man who was able to discover a cure for every disease under the sun?   Pick one of the following choices:

  1. His Name would appear in the Headlines of Every Newspaper in the Land
  2. He would be be proclaimed Man of the Year, Century, AND the Millennium
  3. Articles celebrating his Genius would be found in every Magazine
  4. He would appear on every Talk Show imaginable for a solid month to explain how he did it
  5. His life would be ruined and he would completely disappear from sight

Considering you have never even heard of this guy, I think you already have a useful clue.  So let's see what happened.

Here is Royal Rife in a picture taken back in the 1930s.  He doesn't look very scary.  Roy Rife was both a microbiologist and an optical engineer.

Dr. Rife invented an ingenious microscope that appears to have been light-years ahead of anything like it.

In the 1930s, he claimed that by using a specially designed optical microscope, he could observe a number of microbes which were too small to visualize using previously existing technology.

Rife also reported that a 'beam ray' feature of his invention could weaken or destroy the pathogens by energetically exciting destructive resonances in their constituent chemicals.

So was this contraption of any value?  Of course not.
Wikipedia writes it off as a huge waste of time. 

Rife's claims could not be independently replicated, and were ultimately discredited by the medical profession in the 1950s.

Rife blamed the scientific rejection of his claims on a conspiracy involving the American Medical Association (AMA), the Department of Public Health, and other elements of "organized medicine", which had "brainwashed" potential supporters of his devices.

Thank goodness we have Wikipedia, the magazine of the FDA.  It says this Rife quackpot blamed his rejection on a conspiracy involving the AMA and the Medical Establishment.  Oh yawn.  Where have we heard that before?  And oh how tiresome it must be for the readers to hear of yet another absurd "alternative cancer cure" claim.  Who can even keep track of them all??

Well, you know how curious I can be.  Once I discovered Rife was a graduate of Johns Hopkins, my alma mater (Go Blue Jays!), I decided maybe I should look a little further. 

According to the 1987 book, The Cancer Cure That Worked, by Barry Lynes, Rife was an optical engineer and technician of great skill. His first success was the building of the Universal Microscope in the late 1920s.

One thing that doesn't seem to be in any doubt is that Royal Rife was a genius.

In addition to his Universal Microscope and subsequent Frequency Instrument, Rife's inventions include a heterodyning ultraviolet microscope, a microdissector, and a micromanipulator.  Now try naming all those instruments in one breath.

Royal Rife received 14 major awards and honors and was given an honorary Doctorate by the University of Heidelberg for his work. During the 66 years that Rife spent designing and building medical instruments, he worked for Zeiss Optics, the U.S. Government, and several private benefactors.  His most notable patron was millionaire Henry Timkin, of Timkin roller bearing fame.

Because Rife was self-educated in so many different fields, he intuitively looked for his answers in areas beyond the rigid scientific structure of his day. He had mastered so many different disciplines that he literally had, at his intellectual disposal, the skills and knowledge of an entire team of scientists and technicians from a number of different scientific fields. So, whenever new technology was needed to perform a new task, Rife simply invented it.  Most of these machines he built himself. 

Everything written about Rife underscores that this guy was beyond brilliant.

Early Career

Rife was born in 1888 in Elkhorn, Nebraska.  His father was a mechanical engineer.  His early life was marked by the loss of his mother when he was eight months old.  Rife was an only child at this point.  His father worked too many hours and traveled far too much to care for a helpless infant, so Rife was sent to be raised by his father's sister. 

In 1905, Rife attended Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, an institution famous for its medical school.  Originally intending to become a doctor, Rife discovered he was more interested in studying bacteriology.  He did graduate work in Germany at the University of Heidelberg.  He spent many hours photographing specimens for the University.  This led to a deeper interest in optics.  Because his interest in bacteriology required the intensive use of microscopes, Rife found himself continually frustrated by the limits of the machines he worked with.

Consequently, he sought out a research internship with Zeiss Works, the leading manufacturer of microscopes in the world.  Rife, a brilliant student, soon came under the tutelage of Hans Luckolt, the senior engineer.  This training allowed Rife to become a master of microscope and lens technology.

His education complete, in early 1912 Royal Rife moved to Point Loma, a suburb of San Diego.  He met Mamie Quinn, a woman of Chinese descent.  Obviously there was existing prejudice at the time, Rife could not have cared less about her Chinese heritage.  Rife married Ms. Quinn in 1912, the same year he met her.  Although they were never able to have children, the marriage was a happy one. Rife received tremendous support and encouragement from Mamie.  It was her watchful eye that gave Rife the shelter to immerse himself deeply into the world of ideas.  The marriage lasted 45 years until his wife's passing in 1957. 

From 1915 till 1920, Rife worked in his private lab identifying and classifying disease-causing microorganisms.  He was continually frustrated at the limits of viewing magnitude, so he began to design his very own super microscope.

By 1920, Rife had finished building the world's first virus microscope. He didn't stop there. By 1933, he had perfected even better technology.  Now he constructed the incredibly complex Universal Microscope, which had nearly 6,000 different parts and was capable of magnifying objects 60,000 times their normal size. With this incredible microscope, Rife became the first human being to actually see a live virus.

Rife was thus able to see otherwise invisible organisms and watch them actively invade tissue cultures. Rife was able to view the living cancer virus at work. His microscope used many quartz prisms and lenses, placed to compensate for losses of refraction due to air. This enabled him to view far tinier particles than had ever been seen before.  Rife was the first man to ever view this intricate hidden world.

Accordingly to one source, until quite recently, the Universal Microscope was the only one which was able view live viruses.  Apparently modern electron microscopes instantly kill everything beneath them, viewing only the mummified remains and debris.

What the Rife microscope could see was the bustling activity of living viruses as they change form to accommodate changes in environment, replicate rapidly in response to carcinogens, and transform normal cells into tumor cells.

Even Rife's detractors admit he put together an impressive microscope. What makes him special is that he also had the training as a medical researcher to know what he was looking at and to know what to do about it. 

In other words, Rife had the genius of an Edison to first know how to build this super-machine AND THEN he had the genius of a Pasteur to know what to do with what he was seeing!   

Rife's next amazing discovery was to develop a way to kill the viruses.  He used a technique he called "Coordinated Resonance".  Apparently each microbe has an electronic frequency where it is vulnerable to vibrations.  Rife would simply shatter the microbes using concentrated radio rays!

Using the Universal Microscope, Rife observed cancer viruses as they changed their size and form. He discovered that exposing a virus to certain frequencies of radio waves killed it quickly. Years of experimentation led the invention of the Frequency Instrument, or Frequency Beam Ray, a device that produced the exact frequencies needed to destroy viruses. 

Rife noticed that when he played back their own pattern of oscillation, slightly modified, he could destroy the viruses without affecting the healthy tissues around them.  This caused the bacteria or virus to shatter in the same manner as a crystal glass breaks in response to the voice of an opera singer. [ source ]

(Rick Archer's Note:  Does any of that description make sense to you?   I found several far more technical explanations on the Internet that would delight anyone with the mind of an engineer, but it was all Greek to me.  You would have to ask my father to explain it.  He was the engineer in the family, I was merely the Social Science disappointment.  Family joke.

Since I do not have the scientific background to share this information any better, I have a suggestion.   Why not take a brief detour?  I found a marvelous explanation on a 10 minute Rife video that shows how Rife's inventions worked.  You can see all the evil little cancer microbes swimming around and then get to watch the cancer virus shrink before your eyes.  You also get to hear Dr. Rife himself explain how it worked.  Very fascinating to hear him speak.)

What Rife saw, as did the other microbiologists who later used his instruments, was astounding.  It shook the established theories of medicine to their roots.

It took Rife many years, working 48 hours at a time, until he discovered the frequencies which specifically destroyed herpes, polio, spinal meningitis, tetanus, influenza, and an immense number of other dangerous disease organisms... and cancer as well.   One source claims this microscope could kill everything under the sun.

Although the biologists of his day were impressed with the power of this invention, both the medical community and the optical physicists would have little to do with Rife. There were no principles in physics to explain how the Universal Microscope worked.  That was all the reason they needed for them to reject Rife's ideas. The medical community made sure to criticize the work of Rife to anyone who would listen.

To be honest, Rife's discoveries were so unbelievably profound, the genius of his work probably went right over their heads.  Microbiologist E.C. Rosenow tried to explain Rife's principles to his colleagues, but got nowhere.  He was philosophic about the lack of acceptance for his findings among his colleagues. Rosenow told his son:

"There is no way to convince one's peer group of something new until their attitude of receptivity changes. They simply won't listen."

This thought echoed Max Planck, the German Nobel laureate in physics, who stated that for new ideas to be accepted, one had to wait for a generation of scientists to die off and a new one to replace it. 

Fortunately, however, not everyone was so close-minded. In 1934, people in California who knew Rife personally decided it was time to put this weird technology to a test.


The 1934 USC Experiment

As the newspaper clippings suggest, Rife was a definite hometown hero in San Diego.  Everyone agreed his microscope was amazing.  At this point the man had no enemies.  Royal Rife was the toast of the town.

On November 20, 1931, forty-four of the nation's most respected medical authorities honored Royal Rife with a banquet billed as The End To All Diseases at the Pasadena estate of Dr. Milbank Johnson.  What a great evening it must have been. 

But by 1939, almost all of these distinguished doctors and scientists were denying that they had ever met Rife.  What had happened to make so many brilliant men have complete memory lapses?  One might ask if that fancy microscope could cause amnesia as well.

In 1934, the University of Southern California appointed a Special Medical Research Committee to bring terminal cancer patients from Pasadena County Hospital to Rife's San Diego Laboratory and clinic for treatment. The team included doctors and pathologists assigned to examine the patients - if still alive - in 90 days.

The diseased people were exposed to the exact same frequencies that had been seen through the microscope to destroy the virus causing their illness. Treatments lasted only three minutes. The person would wait three days before another exposure.  This gave the lymph system time to cleanse the dead virus from their bodies.  Unlike the chemotherapy treatments currently in use, Rife's therapy was 100 percent effective and engendered no adverse symptoms.  One should also note it wasn't painful to be treated. 

After the 90 days of treatment, the Committee concluded that 14 of the 16 patients had been completely cured. The treatment was then adjusted. This did the trick. Within the next four weeks, the two remaining patients also responded. That meant the total recovery rate using Rife's technology was 100%.  Using the instrument, all sixteen people were cured of cancer. 

Everything was very much on the up and up.  Sworn affidavits and medical experts testified to the complete remission of "hopeless" cases within four to six weeks.  Every patient treated by Rife's Frequency Instrument - as he called it - was cured sooner or later with no adverse side affects.

So there you have it.  A team of medical experts had witnessed with their own eyes the effectiveness and safety of Roy Rife's amazing microscope. 

Bring out the champagne!  Cancer had just been cured. 

But not for long.

1931 Dinner held to honor Dr. Royal Rife.  If Rife had stopped right there and just stuck to his microscope invention, he would be a household name today.  But he was stupid.  He thought the world might appreciate a cure for cancer as his encore.  What a fool.

There doesn't seem to be any doubt that Royal Rife was well respected by the local San Diego newspaper

Morris Fishbein

Unfortunately, as if on cue, it was time for the bad guy to show up.  It was Morris Fishbein, the same man who I wrote about in Chapter Two.   In his day, Fishbein took on the entire Dream Team of Alternative Cancer - Caisse, Gerson, Hoxsey... and Royal Rife.

David Bonello states that Fishbein was the legendary hatchet man who ran medicine for nearly 50 years.  Fishbein was rumored to have destroyed many people and many companies during his reign of terror.  Bonello believes the damage Fishbein did to the health care system of the time deprived untold numbers of suffering humans any possible chance at a cure.  [ source ]

(Rick Archer's Note: I read an unbelievable account of Morris Fishbein's career in The Medical Racket, written by Wade Frazier.  He said Morris Fishbein is responsible for turning cancer treatment into the racket it is today.  He named Fishbein "the medical gangster of the 20th Century.)


In the case of Royal Rife, the initial contact involved a token attempt to buy out Rife and his machines.  Morris Fishbein was sitting pretty at the time.  He had just acquired the entire stock of the American Medical Association by 1934.  Now he sent an attorney to Rife with 'an offer you can't refuse.'   Rife refused.

Fishbein probably wasn't surprised.  He must have realized that this strategy would backfire with Rife.  For one thing, Rife paid little attention to money.  It's tough to buy off someone who doesn't care.  Rife mumbled something about this machine being his life work and he wouldn't dream of selling it.

Ordinary the next step would be to file some sort of charges to stop Rife's machine.  However, unlike Hoxsey, he could not be arrested for practicing without a license.  (I am not sure what the law says about zapping people with radio waves).

Nor was Rife shipping any "treatment" across state line.

For that matter, a trial on trumped-up charges might backfire. It would mean that testimony supporting Rife would be introduced by the prominent medical authorities working with Rife. And the defense would undoubtedly take the opportunity to introduce evidence such as the 1934 medical study done in conjunction with USC.  One has to realize that Rife had the support of much of the local medical community. 

Furthermore, Rife's own testimony would surely dazzle the jury.  To hear this learned engineer present decades of accumulated evidence of his work, including film and stop-motion photographs, plus a scientific explanation of its efficacy would mean game over.  No "expert witness" on earth could be any match for this humble, sincere genius.

The last thing in the world the pharmaceutical industry wanted was a public trial about a painless therapy that cured 100% of the terminal cancer patients and cost nothing to use but a little electricity.  It might give people the wrong idea that they didn't need the AMA's ineffective cures any longer.

Nope, the bludgeon of legal proceedings wouldn't work here.  So the powers that be decided different tactics were needed.  How about sabotage and bribery?  Bingo.


The Miserable Takedown of a Decent Man

Rick Archer's Note: I have no way to determine the truth of the following material.  I cannot possibly vouch for its accuracy.  There are two kinds of searches - superficial and serious.  Mine is 'superficial'.  I see no point in thoroughly researching an incident from 80 years ago.  I will simply cut and paste and name my sources.  I will leave it up the reader to decide what to think about it.  

According to the article I found at Altered States, t
he problem began with the gradual pilfering of components, photographs, film, and written records from Rife's lab. The culprit was never caught.   (Rick Archer's Note: I read a similar claim in the Max Gerson story.  In fact, I found one strange statement that suggested there was even poison found in Gerson's system.  You just have to wonder.)

Rife was blind-sided by the loss.  These were the days when photocopies and computers were not available for use as backups. It had never occurred to Rife that someone would steal his research documents.  He wasn't even sure what was missing. 

While Rife struggled to reproduce his missing data, one day he discovered someone had vandalized his precious virus microscopes. Pieces of the 5,682 piece Universal microscope were stolen.

Earlier, an arson fire had destroyed the multi-million dollar Burnett Lab in New Jersey, just as the scientists there were preparing to announce confirmation of Rife's work.

Then came a terrible blow.  One day police illegally confiscated the remainder of Rife's 50 years of research.  

However it was a lawsuit that proved to be the kill shot. That was kind of odd because Rife won the decision, a "Pyrrhic Victory" of sorts.

In 1939, agents of a family which controlled the pharmaceutical drug industry assisted Rife's partner Philip Hoyland in a frivolous lawsuit against his own partners in the Beam Ray Corporation. This was the only company manufacturing Rife's frequency instruments.  One source says that Fishbein himself bribed Hoyland with $10,000 to file a suit against Rife in order to obtain the company and include a Fishbein agent on the board of directors while excluding Rife. Ten grand was quite a lot of money in those days. 

Rife counter sued and won in 1939.

However, the litigation and betrayal took an emotional and financial toll on the normally reclusive scientist.  Rife began drinking.


(Rick Archer's Note: I will explain who John Hubbard is shortly.  Ben Cullen was the owner of the Beam Ray Corporation and a close associate of Royal Rife)

Ben Cullen: Philip Hoyland was always cunning when he was working with me. I was turning out all the stuff and of course was also Executive Vice-President (of Beam Rays Corporation) for quite a while, and Philip had some sneaky ways about him.

The Khan Realty Company brothers came down here from Los Angeles at the behest of the head of the AMA - his name was Morris Fishbein.  So they came to see if they could find out something about us at the direct request of the head of the AMA.  They found quite a good deal with Dr. James B. Couche, who was a very fine physician and surgeon and had been a Fellow of the College of Surgeons for twenty years... and Philip was in the office with us, and when they had found what we were doing they said, "Well we would like to buy into this corporation."

"Well," I said, "This happens to be a closed corporation, we haven't requested the Commissioner of Corporations for the privilege to issue stock. That would take a long time if we did. At the present time we are not in a position to actually do that."

So one of the brothers acted a little bit belligerent, and he said, "Well you ought to do something about it." And I said, "Why?"

And he said "It would be good for you, it might be healthy for you."

So I thought, "That is strange." And so they left finally.

John Hubbard: These two brothers?

Ben Cullen: These two bothers of the Khan Realty Company.

John Hubbard: The Khan Realty Company was in Los Angeles?

Ben Cullen: Yes, Los Angeles. They were a German Jewish Realty Company, their name was German-Jewish. And they met Philip Hoyland. I noticed that Philip was showing considerable appearance of friendliness toward them and I didn't think much about it until later I had found out that they had gotten hold of him and bribed him with a $10,000 check.

John Hubbard:  Did you ever see the check? How did you find out about the $10,000 check.

Ben Cullen: I didn't see the check but I do know this... that it came from many sources and from his own lips later that they paid him $10,000 and he had wished to God that he hadn't ever accepted it. But just like Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus, as soon as he got that $10,000 check, then he kicked us into the courts on... not on bankruptcy but something similar to that.

John Hubbard: He wanted to get the directors changed.

Ben Cullen: Yes, he wanted to get the whole thing changed. But what happened was this Aaron Sapiro came out from Chicago, the Prosecuting Attorney - paid by the AMA.

John Hubbard: How do you know that Sapiro was paid by the AMA?

Ben Cullen: Because he made that statement to Bert Comparet and to others, and of course I was often times in the group and I heard what was said.


John Hubbard: What about Milbank Johnson? Do you remember Milbank Johnson very well?

Ben Cullen: Yes, he was a big, tall, handsome gentleman - very, very knowledgeable and extremely interested in Rife. He wrote a very fine letter one time after he had seen the work that was done at Miss Helen Scripps home on the treatment of a boy with papilloma. Around the neck here a cancer had eaten through so you could see the sinews and see the neck bones, so much of the flesh had dropped off around here. The boy had to be held up on this side all the time and held down so he could move his neck. Now Milbank Johnson, and Kendall, and Rosenow were there at the time that this work was done and they saw the tremendous value of the Rife Ray instrument because it actually cured that boy's papilloma up to a point where he had some scar tissue for some time but he definitely was saved. He did not die. He was healthy and able to go back to work. Then there was that breast cancer incident.

Ben Cullen:  Benjamin Henderson brought his wife to Dr. James Couche to treat.  She had one of the worst cases of breast carcinoma I have ever seen. In fact her breast was almost all sloughed off. It looked terrible. But Dr. Couche, with the original laboratory instrument, cleared it up.

John Hubbard: The original laboratory instrument? The one Rife himself had built?

Ben Cullen: Yes.

Philip Hoyland lost the trial, his assisted legal assault had the desired effect: the company was bankrupted by the legal expenses mounting a defense. During the Great Depression, this meant that all commercial production of Rife's frequency instruments ceased completely.

The harassment continued.  The few doctors who had tried to defend Rife lost their foundation grants and hospital privileges.

Huge amounts of money were spent ensuring that doctors who had seen Rife's therapy would forget what they saw.  Almost no price was too much to suppress this damn microscope if it meant protecting the precious cancer money train.

The cruelest blow of all came when Arthur Kendall, the Director of the Northwestern School of Medicine, turned against him.  Kendall had worked closely with Rife on the cancer virus.  It is said he accepted almost a quarter of a million dollars to suddenly 'retire' in Mexico. That was an exorbitant amount of money in the Depression era.

Kendall wasn't alone.  Dr. George Dock, another prominent figure who collaborated with Rife, was silenced with an enormous grant, along with the highest honors the AMA could bestow. Between the carrots and the sticks, everyone except Dr. James Couche and Dr. Milbank Johnson gave up Rife's work and went back to prescribing drugs.

Rife had a small support system left. A small circle of doctors in California continued to stand by Rife despite the national pressure.  This circle had the protection of  Dr. Milbank Johnson, a politically powerful medical person.  This was the same Dr. Milbank Johnson who had thrown that 1931 dinner.  He was always in Rife's corner.

However, Dr. Johnson suddenly passed away in 1944Suspiciously, upon Dr. Johnson's death, many of the documents Johnson had held from the USC clinical trails completely disappeared. Not long after that, investigators began to suspect that Johnson had been poisoned.  Seeing that Johnson was just about to begin announcing Rife's successes publicly to the national media, the timing was very curious.  source

The loss of the influential Dr. Johnson put the final nail in the coffin for Rife's career.  The moment Johnson died in 1944, Royal Rife seemed to disappear from existence.

 If you look carefully, you will spot the name of Arthur Kendall in this article.   Kendall accepted the Judas role just like Philip Hoyland did.  They sold Rife out.

Hiding the Truth

Now came the final stages of the cover-up. To finish the job, the medical journals refused to publish any paper by anyone on Rife's therapy. Supported almost entirely by drug company revenues and controlled by the AMA, these journals weren't going to bite the hand that fed them.  Apparently in the medical profession, if you don't publish, you cease to exist.  Therefore, an entire generation of medical students graduated into practice without ever once hearing of Rife's breakthroughs in medicine.

Rife was a brilliant inventor, not a brass-tacks street fighter. In fact, when it came to confrontation, Rife ran for the hills.  Every time something went wrong, Rife retreated further into a shell.  Ever since the glory days of the 1934 USC clinical trial, his life had turned to hell and his career had been ruined.  The inevitable conclusion reached by Rife was that his life-long work had gone down the drain.  He assumed his discoveries would probably be buried with him.

The Forties were a barren time for him.  At that point, Rife ceased to produce much of anything. He spent the last third of his life seeking oblivion in alcohol. It dulled the pain of the acute awareness that his half century of brilliant work had gone down the drain.  His efforts had been cast aside. Meanwhile, with the Rife inventions neutralized, the unnecessary suffering of millions continued so that a vested few might profit.  

And profit they did, and profit they do.

A Peek into the Personality of a Genius 

John Hubbard: I have known about this microscope since 1947. I found this report in the Smithsonian Institute report and I wrote to Rife back in 1949 but he never answered me. I kept asking and sending letters and so forth...

Ben Cullen: At that time (1949), that was just exactly ten years from the time he started drinking during that trial.  He was mentally pretty well in shock after that. I couldn't get him to do hardly anything. I tried to get him to provide us with closed-circuit television in Lion Aeronautical. I tried to get him to provide us with information and help in our laboratories over at Convair in regard to metallic crystallography and stuff of that sort. And he could have made a lot of money that way. But every time I got him closeted with a group of engineers and he would start to outline his thoughts and what he could do and they were all sitting on tender hooks - he would excuse himself and go outside.

By the time he got back he would be waddling. He had to have that liquor - which of course was the fault of the advice and council he received in 1939 during the final windup of our case where we were accused by the AMA of doing something they did not like in regard to the application of the Rife ray for cancer and so forth. And of course that was all a mistake. Of course they had the right kind of help, medical men of repute. But by that time when Rife came on the stage and on the witness stand to testify, he went all to pieces.

John Hubbard: And this was in 1939?

Ben Cullen: Yes.

John Hubbard: Now, I went down to the courthouse and copied all of the records on that trial and I read them on the projection machine, they have them on microfilm down there, and I was just surprised. There would be times when they would want Rife to come to court and from the record there - he wouldn't show up.

Ben Cullen: No, he wouldn't.

John Hubbard: Was that because he would be drunk, or what?

Ben Cullen: No, it wasn't that. Rife was a tremendously capable man as long as he could manipulate what he was working with. When it came to being in a court of law, where you're right down to dog-eat-dog, why, that just unnerved him and he couldn't stand it.

John Hubbard: What kind of questions would they ask him that would unnerve him?

Ben Cullen: It wasn't that any questions would be asked to unnerve him - but here he was a man who had spent his lifetime in doing things that others had told him were wonderful - just simply marvelous - his lenses and stethoscope, so many, many things that he did. All this he was told by many men from England and from Germany and other places that he was an excellent man in his field.

Possibly I am not using the correct nomenclature and verbiage that I should use, but nevertheless, he absolutely felt on top. And when he got into court he became a simple, plain human being. And anything he might say he was afraid might incriminate him - although there was nothing at all that the trial could find that he would be at any time considered culpable in any mistake at all or anything that might have been done. It was all done of course through our corporation: The Beam Rays Corporation.

Now, Rife felt completely frustrated because he could not do anything in court except say "yes" or "no" - and he knew what to say and he was not allowed to say it. If he was allowed to enlarge the least little bit, why, the Prosecution would cut him right off and there would be a fight as to whether it should be entered in the record or stricken from the record or what. It so unnerved him that he was just simply scared to death. He was not at all conversant with law. The only law he knew was the law of research and investigation

John Hubbard: Was Rife very religious?

Ben Cullen: Not too much, no. He was very psychic. He could draw from the ocean of mind - which I call it, another side - information about many things he couldn't have in his conscious state. As I told you, when he wanted an answer he would put his pad and pencil by his bedside and between 11 and 2 o'clock he always got his answer.

Rick Archer's Note: That unusual comment reminds me of Edgar Cayce, the Sleeping Prophet.  Cayce, an uneducated man, could put himself into a trance and come up with medical solutions that far transcended the understanding of not only himself in a waking state, but medical authorities as well.  To everyone's amazement, Cayce's bizarre treatment suggestions would always work perfectly.  The story of Edgar Cayce is the perfect example that there is a lot about medicine we don't know.  EDGAR CAYCE ON CANCER

The Forties

Throughout the 1940s, little was heard concerning Royal Rife.  The Beam Ray Corporation was gone now.  It  had gone bankrupt following the costly 1939 lawsuit.  According to Ben Cullen, Rife's friend and former business partner, Rife spent the Forties drinking and feeling sorry for himself.  The loss of his career had left him devastated.  His work had given him his reason to exist.  Without it, he was lost.  But Rife assumed that any attempt to return to his earlier work would end in more persecution from Morris Fishbein.  Rife felt helpless to fight back. So he just wandered around in shock.

In 1942, Dr. Raymond Seidel decided to write a piece about Rife.  One of few pieces of correspondence from that era to surface was a June 1942 letter from Dr. Raymond Seidel to Rife with questions about the Universal Microscope for an article Seidel was preparing for the Franklin Institute (and later the Smithsonian as well).  Many years later, this particular article would serve a special role.

In 1949, Morris Fishbein was forced to step down from the AMA after losing his libel fight with Harry Hoxsey.  

The Comeback

In 1950, with his nemesis Fishbein out of the way, perhaps this emboldened Rife to try again.  His first step was to hire John Crane as a machinist.  Crane was an engineer who had become aware of Rife’s story and approached him.  Crane proposed to collaborate with him in producing his frequency device again. For the next decade, Crane devoted his life to doing just that.

During Rife's decade of feeling sorry for himself, he had at least spent some time thinking of ways to improve his Frequency Machine. He offered his suggestions to Crane, then took a backseat.   Crane was a good man and had a lot of energy.  Corresponding with medical authorities and hiring experts to further develop the Rife frequency device, Crane made some major breakthroughs, making the device even more effective than it was in the 1930s. Then Crane put his heart into producing new machines and selling them.

In 1957, Rife's wife of 45 years died.  Mamie had been the rock that had held him together all these years of torment.  Now she was gone.  Rife had always been on the fragile side.  It was the protective umbrella formed by his wife and his friend Dr. Johnson that had largely shielded Rife from the firestorm surrounding his work.  Now that he was alone, Rife fell to pieces.  He simply couldn't take the fear and the stress any more.  He wasn't in very good health either.  He was nearly 70 now and his eyesight was failing.  The various trials and medical witch-hunts took a terrible toll on both his health and his mental state.

In 1958, the FDA began harassing John Crane.  He watched in stunned disbelief as the State Department of Public Health held a hearing in 1958 to determine if the Frequency Instrument should be approved as a treatment device.  Sure enough, they outlawed it.  Rife quickly fell to pieces.  Crane was bitter as well, but he continued to soldier on despite the interference. 

In 1960, Crane was making and selling the device, along with a detailed technical manual on how to use it, and was attempting to get it patented when all hell broke loose.  The FDA picked up right where Fishbein had left off. Medical authorities raided Crane's facility in California and seized everything: machines, engineering data, research records and reports, pictures off the walls, etc.  They did not even have a search warrant.  Then the railroad treatment began, with the kangaroo court tactics to follow.  

Rife was terrified.  The 1939 lawsuit had led directly to drinking and a nervous breakdown.  Rife had no courage left.  In 1961, Royal Rife fled the country for Mexico to avoid this new series of FDA legal harassment. Crane was left behind to take all the heat.  

While Rife cowered in some Mexican cantina drinking himself to death, they sent Crane to jail on trumped up charges.  [ source ]


Little is known of what happened to Rife during his final years.

Although Rife remained an expatriate for much of the final ten years of his life, there were rumors that Rife did return to San Diego from time to time whenever the coast was clear.

Reports say he spent much of his time drinking heavily.

In 1971, the last year of his life, Royal Rife couldn't care for himself any longer.  He moved himself into a rest home in El Cajon, a little town in the hills east of San Diego.  According to the local newspaper, he died alone and penniless.

The autopsy pointed to a combination of valium and alcohol as the cause. 

The headline of his final press clipping really said it all.


The John Crane Trial

John Crane's personal account told to Barry Lynes, author of The Cancer Cure That Worked    [ source ]  

John Crane was a close associate to Royal Rife.  Rife trusted Crane and made him his heir. 

By 1960, Crane had written and copyrighted a manual which explained how the Frequency Instrument was to be used in the experimental treatment of various diseases and on different parts of the body. By that year, 90 instruments were distributed for research and verification on notarized contracts.

And then the medical authorities struck.

They raided Crane's office, took over $40,000 in machines, frequency instruments, and one large Rife ray tube instrument, along with engineering data, research records and reports, pictures off the wall, private letters, invoices, tape recordings, and electronic parts.
They had no search warrant.

They smashed all the research which had been put together over 10 laborious years. As in 1939, they visited the doctors who were experimenting with the machines and forced them to abandon them.

They also pressured ordinary citizens who had begun experimenting on a personal basis.  These visits were made by teams of overzealous investigators.

"One woman was scared so bad that she has been in a sanitarium driven entirely out of her mind. Her husband cursed them out and told them to get off his property.  He has threatened to exterminate them should they return. His wife has undergone shock treatments and two months of hospitalization."

Then the FDA took Crane to court.  He was criminally indicted and tried on charges involving practicing medicine without a license.

The records and materials previously seized were not allowed to be used by Crane in his own defense during his trial.

Roy Rife, almost 73 and incapable of suffering the abuse of another trial at his age, went into hiding in Mexico. His deposition was not permitted to be introduced at the trial. Neither were the medical and scientific reports from the 1930s and 1940s. Nor were medical reports from Dr. Stafford in Ohio. Dr. Couche's letters were also declared inadmissible. No medical or scientific report which indicated the Frequency Instrument worked as represented was permitted to be introduced at the trial.

Crane was left with only the patients who had been cured or helped to stick up for him.

The trial was held in early 1961. After 24 days, and despite the testimony of 14 patients who told how the Frequency Instrument cured ailments and diseases which orthodox medicine could not alleviate, Crane was found guilty.

The only medical opinion offered by the State of California came from Dr. Paul Shea who had been given a Frequency Instrument by the Public Health Department for 2 months before the trial. Shea admitted he never tried the Frequency Instrument on anything or made any tests to evaluate it. He simply examined it and decided that it had no curative powers and didn't lend itself to investigative use.

Also, and most disturbing, the foreman of the jury was an AMA doctor. Everyone else was carefully screened to see that they had no medical knowledge, no electronic knowledge, and didn't read any newspapers supporting alternative healing.

The verdict was a foregone conclusion. Crane was sentenced to 10 years in jail. Following appeals, two of the three counts against Crane were reversed in the California Supreme Court because no specific criminal intent had been proven. Crane would spend 3 years and 1 month in jail.

After Crane was imprisoned, so much pressure was put on Dr. Stafford in Ohio that he gave up medicine and became a salesman. Another doctor in Salt Lake City had his Frequency Instrument sabotaged and then was hounded by the orthodox medical authorities to such an extent that he committed suicide.

Such were the lengths to which the anti-Rife forces were willing to go in order to prevent the testing and use of this breakthrough technology. Rife's cure for cancer had been effectively suppressed again.


But Wait!  There's More!

John Hubbard, MD, was a practicing pathologist and Associate Professor of Pathology at the State University of New York at Buffalo.  He passed away in 2004.

Requiem for Royal Rife

The John Hubbard Interviews: Introduction
By Shawn Montgomery

Rick Archer's Note:  Shawn Montgomery is a dedicated Royal Rife researcher.  He spent much of the Nineties tracking down every piece of information Rife possible.  His interest in Rife led him to meet with John Hubbard, one of the pioneers of the unusual field of 'Rife Research'.  Montgomery's work led to a much-praised Rife documentary.  

I have paraphrased some of Mr. Montgomery's story about his search for the truth.  You may read the story in its original form here.

The Preposterous Legend

Have you ever heard a story crazier than this 

An eccentric genius in depression-era California invents several fantastic medical devices including super microscopes and a death ray for microbes. In a twenty-year research initiative costing millions of dollars and backed by the most prestigious men in medical science, this genius endeavors to deliver the "cure for cancer" to the world.

After years of painstaking effort, he perfects the ultimate microscope.  This allows him to peer into a world no one else can see.  Now he discovers a virus in cancer tumors.  Armed with this valuable clue, the man develops a way to destroy that virus with a beam of electrical energy produced by his newest invention: the Beam Ray Machine.

As word of his work spreads, human clinical trials are set up and presided over by top-of-their-field doctors who were anxious to put this machine to a test.  They are both shocked and delighted to discover that the "cure" was one hundred percent effective.  16 so-called terminal patients enjoy full recoveries.  

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the AMA steps in.  Using nefarious means, they shut down the whole endeavor. The cure for cancer is denied to the world because it is not pharmaceutically based and therefore not profitable to drug companies.

Tormented, harassed at every turn, and grief-stricken that his life's work has been destroyed, the genius flees to Mexico to escape further persecution.  Now he becomes a recluse and proceeds to drink himself to death.  All of his countless thousands of hours of research spread over years and years had all gone for naught.  He had invented a machine for the ages.  By all that is right, he should have gone down as the most famous inventor in history.  Considering the importance of his work, people would quite possibly refer to him a savior of mankind.... but that was impossible now.

No one would ever know he existed or accomplished because his story has been totally erased.  He dies a lonely pauper in an obscure Mexican village.

This ridiculous story actually floated around as rumor for several decades following World War Two, but no one took it seriously.  After all, it reads like an unlikely plot to a low budget sci fi flick.  It isn't terribly realistic.  After all, how does someone erase the story of a machine that can save mankind? 

Lacking any corroborative evidence, telling details, or historical presence, there was little reason to believe it was true.  A tad too apocryphal. Surely allegorical. Someone invented a machine that cured cancer and it disappeared?  How in a modern world could that ever happen?  Even more important, why would someone destroy a machine that could save mankind?

Given the lack of any apparent record, this far-fetched tale was easily dismissed as someone's idea of a joke.

Christopher Bird

In the early 1970's, journalist Christopher Bird heard this rumor himself.  Curious, he did some digging. He had heard this story several times and each time was equal part disturbed and fascinated.  He wanted to settle its veracity once and for all.  
To his surprise, it didn't take long for him to find a possible source for at least part of the rumor.

Bird came upon a stunning article.  The same article was printed in two different 1944 science journals: The Journal of the Smithsonian Institute and The Journal of the Franklin Institute.

R.E. Seidel, M.D; M. Elizabeth Winter (1944). "The New Microscopes".
Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution
(Smithsonian Institution).

Bird felt his heart race as he read the material.  The article, titled "The New Microscopes", gave a detailed account of the work of the eccentric genius in the crazy story. Bird was incredulous at his discovery.  This was almost like finding the Holy Grail really does exist.  This was a story that had to be told.  

Working from there, journalist Bird kept digging.  More and more nuggets surfaced.  Bird was able to determine that the crazy story wasn't just true, it was completely true!  Bird published his discovery in the New Age Journal

His article was titled "What Has Become of the Rife Microscope?" 
(click here to read Bird's original article.  It offers up a treasure trove of important details.)

It had taken thirty years for the sad and deeply buried saga of Royal Raymond Rife to finally resurface.  What a shame it was that Royal Rife would not benefit from the recognition.  He had died just a couple years earlier in 1971.

How could a story of this magnitude get buried?  

Those of course were the days before computer technology.  Unless you had some sort of hard evidence like a name or a place or a witness, tracking down a rumor was hit or miss. 

Today it is a simple matter to do an internet search on "Royal Raymond Rife" and have delivered to your computer a wealth of information on history's most famous "forgotten scientist".

You'll find not just the "New Microscopes" article from the Smithsonian Journal and Bird's article in the New Age Journal on the Internet, but so much more.  Today there is a wealth of corroborative data: dozens of newspaper and science journal articles, hundreds of personal letters between the doctors involved, photographs of Rife himself, Rife's scopes and his other inventions, schematics, lab notes, lab films, reports, interviews, books, and documentaries.

Thanks in large part to Christopher Bird, Rife's long-forgotten achievements have come back to life. The remarkable story of Rife is a rumor no more.  

However, there is a dark footnote.  One would assume releasing a suppressed science from its veil of obscurity would be a glorious thing, especially a potential cure for cancer.  However, in the case of Rife, the glory is somewhat diminished by the disappearance of his device.  This changes the story dramatically.  Now we have the tale of a cure for cancer that is gone forever. 

Though many details of his contributions survive as documentary evidence: pictures, films, schematics, testimony, reports and so forth - the real treasure would be finding operational Rife Microscopes, Beam Ray Machines, or other artifacts.  

Today the location and condition of many of Rife's inventions remains largely uncertain. Thirty years ago it was not much different even though the trail was much warmer. The documents that attest to the reality of these things are in hand, so where are these machines now?

John Hubbard

It was in the mid-1940's that a young student of pathology named John Hubbard first became obsessed with the Rife Universal Microscope.  Hubbard was doing his best to keep up with current advancements in the tools of his chosen field.  He was thumbing through the above-mentioned Journal of the Smithsonian Institute when he came upon the article titled "The New Microscopes".

In astonishment, Hubbard read about Rife's instrument - a microscope that appeared to defy the accepted limits of optics.

Taken at face value, the text of the article seemed somewhat incredible. However, three photomicrographs included therein, taken through the Universal Microscope, tempered Hubbard's incredulity. The published photos were all labeled with magnification values: Chlorophyll (Cell) 17,000X; Tetanus (Spore) 25,000X Typhoid Bacillus (B. Typhosus) 23,000X. Hubbard recognized the extraordinary features of the pictures: the uncanny resolution of detail; the fantastic magnification values (one order higher than standard optical scopes); the clear imaging of certain structural features within the specimens (the existence of which had previously only been suspected by microbiologists - never seen and confirmed).

Here it was: the ultimate microscope. This was a tool that could crack open the still-murky world of germs and spill all of the remaining secrets out onto the table. This was a tool that could help to answer just about any question a microbiologist could ask. Hubbard was duly impressed. In his mind, the near-anomalous-looking photos confirmed the story. This was one microscope he wanted to have. Reading about it was one thing, but actually working with such a scope in one's lab would elevate any microbiologist onto a whole new level. As a student of pathology, he practically drooled at the value of such an asset to his profession.

So Hubbard began searching in earnest.  Mind you, the trail should have been warm.  Rife had gone off the radar in 1939.  It was now 1947.  He sent letters to everyone he could think of: the Royal Rife in the article of course, its authors, and any other names or places mentioned in the text. He sent letters to all optical companies: Leitz, Zeiss, American Optical etc... asking if they had any info on this microscope. Unfortunately, it was a fruitless effort. The war had just ended and people were preoccupied with putting their post-war lives together.  Most of Hubbard's correspondence went unanswered.  Nobody seemed to know anything about it or those that did weren't talking.

Hubbard was deeply frustrated that both the microscope and its inventor had remained so elusive.  However, he had just graduated and the demands of his new career took precedent.  Hubbard reluctantly gave up the search and moved on.

Thirty Years Later

Fast forward thirty years.  Now the inquisitive young student had matured into a tenured Professor of Pathology at New York University in Buffalo.   One day in the mid-1970's, Professor Hubbard serendipitously regained the scent of his long lost trail. By chance, Hubbard happened upon Christopher Bird's article while browsing a magazine rack. Hubbard's fascination with Rife and his super-microscopes was instantly reawakened.  Hubbard shuddered as a fever told hold of him. Bird's article had set him on fire.

The mystery that had once obsessed him and defeated him was back.  Maybe it wasn't too late to find that microscope!

Armed with this new information, Professor Hubbard immediately contacted Christopher Bird.  Not surprisingly, Bird was still very much immersed in his own quest for Rife artifacts.  He had received valuable new leads from people who had noticed his article.  

The first meeting between Bird and Hubbard went well.  As they spoke, Bird could not believe his luck.  Bird had been looking for an expert in microscopy and pathology to help him with a new problem.  His fear was giving the secret to the wrong person.

The rapport he felt with Hubbard led him to take a chance.  Bird lowered his voice to a whisper.  He confided in Hubbard that he had just located the estate of the recently deceased Royal Rife.  Furthermore, Bird was in contact with a certain John F. Crane.  Crane was a mechanical engineer from San Diego who had been named Rife's heir.

Bird had just received permission to come take a look at certain machines in Crane's possession.  Bird could barely contain his excitement at the chance of discovering one of these precious microscopes, but how would he ever know whether it was any good or not?  Bird looked at Hubbard.  Did Hubbard know enough to assess the instruments that Crane said were in his possession.

Hubbard nodded yes.  Now both men were equally excited.  Their quests merged.  Soon Hubbard and Bird were working together in an investigative capacity, determined to unearth, examine, and if possible obtain a Rife Microscope and a Beam Ray Machine.  Plus they both wanted to uncover the rest of the story on this crazy Rife saga.  They both had a huge list of unanswered questions.

They didn't know it at the time, but John Hubbard and Christopher Bird had just become the first Rife Researchers.  The trail Hubbard and Bird would uncover pointed the way for investigations that would involve thousands of people in the decades to come.  They were the pioneers of what would become the labyrinthine field of "Modern Rife Research".

The Quest

As they headed to their meeting with John Crane, their mission was to reestablish the technology, methodology, and discipline that led Rife to his recorded successes.

Unfortunately their hopes of finding an intact Rife device were immediately dashed.  When Hubbard arrived at John Crane's house in San Diego, he finally set eyes on the precious scientific treasure that he had been dreaming of for decades.  Hubbard's heart sank.  He found the machines to be in "near ruins," surrounded by "disarray and clutter".  Hubbard then made eye contact with a "disheveled and unhealthy-looking" Crane.  Crane had just turned pale.  Hubbard guessed that Crane had just become oddly unaware of his glaring ineptness as a guardian.  Crane realized what the fallen faces of his visitors meant.  Despite the value and importance of the artifacts that cluttered his place, Crane had made no effort to take even the basic steps to protect them.

Hubbard would later comment that John Crane was "the most terrifically awful curator of scientific instruments imaginable".

Hubbard would come to realize that John Crane was the owner of the lion's share of Rife's surviving "stuff".  There were no other sources to find other machines.  Ultimately, Hubbard's quest turned into a long, protracted negotiation with John Crane to get him to release the microscopes over to the University of New York for study on purely academic grounds.   In addition, he simultaneously tried to recruit the services of a group of men who had actually worked with Rife on the same microscopes.  Perhaps the keen minds of his school's engineers and this reconstructionist team could somehow reverse engineer a new working machine. Hubbard spared no effort trying to bring the intricate instruments back into working order.   [ Rick Archer's Note: I found no mention in the article of the results of Hubbard's reconstruction project ]

Meanwhile Bird and Hubbard obtained from Crane a list of about a dozen names with some contact information.  These were people who were still alive that knew or worked with Rife. They went to San Diego, Chicago, England, and Los Angeles, anywhere that the information led.  This began an interview process that lasted years, predominantly conducted by Professor Hubbard, and thankfully one which he recorded. This process ended around 1977.

Rife Comes Back to Life

Twenty years later, Shawn Montgomery, the writer of this story, met Professor Hubbard for the first time.  It was now 1996. A few years prior Montgomery had become one of those so-called "Rife Researchers." Montgomery had seen Hubbard's name crop up from time to time among the pages of a rather voluminous pile of his own accumulated "Rife documents".  With the help of his friend and fellow Rife Researcher, Jason Ringas, the pair had compiled quite a stack which cost many years and many dollars.  

Ringas and Montgomery traveled to Buffalo to meet with Professor Hubbard to talk shop and share information and documents. Montgomery learned the most notable item in his data collection were Hubbard's forty hours of recorded audio interviews with various people who had known and worked with Rife.  Hubbard allowed the pair to make copies of the twenty-year-old recordings. Montgomery took the copies home with him and transcribed them.

Ten years later it was now 2006. Everyone that was involved in that early research/resurrection effort was dead. John Hubbard died in 2004.  Chris Bird died in 1996.  John Crane died in 1995. Rife of course died before all these three people had even met. Everyone interviewed by Hubbard and Bird were already old men thirty years ago when the interviews took place and most of them were gone as well.  Consequently Montgomery could tell he was the strongest link left standing to this incredible tale. 

So Montgomery began work on a film detailing the strange career of Royal Rife.

Much of Montgomery's work is hosted on the website of Jeff Rense.  Here one can go to hear these Rife associates speak again.

Rick Archer's Note: 
Shawn Montgomery made a film based on his research. Here is the description:

The Rise and Fall of a Scientific Genius:  The Forgotten Story of Royal Raymond Rife

See the staggering discoveries and work of Roy Rife which led him to a cure for cancer (among many other diseases) in 1934.

Hear Rife's own voice describe his breakthroughs and successes which shook the medical-pharmaceutical establishment to its core.

This all new, completely re-edited DVD version of the original two-part film by Shawn Montgomery, will leave you reeling with anger and shock at what has been withheld from all of us by men with an unbridled lust for profits and a complete disregard for the welfare of humanity.

"The Rise and Fall" shows how Rife's own brilliance led him to eventual ruin in the hands of the hopelessly corrupt American Medical Association, which did not and still does not want you to know his astonishing story. Countless millions of lives have been lost due to
conflicting interests within the so-called Cancer Industry.

You can get more information here

For interviews with people who knew Royal Rife, take a look at John Hubbard's interviews,
Part One and Part Two


Robert Page, a personal friend of Royal Rife  (in a letter to John Hubbard)

"John, Royal Raymond Rife was expert in several fields ­ and ahead of the pack in some of them; and this can never be taken away from him. He deserves to go down in the pages of history as one of the great, or at least one of the near great minds of our century. But he will not get this reward because of a personality fault ­ or several of those.

1) I've often had the feeling that he divided all humanity in two groups: those he could trust implicitly, and those to never be trusted.

2) He had nearly complete contempt for the mental abilities of 99.9% of the members of the medical profession (and particularly if they were ­ as you are ­ involved in the teaching of medical students. (I think this particular attached to the schools more than to faculty members as individuals). He often expressed complete and utter contempt for research faculty types. They would visit his laboratory but could repeat his work only if he stood behind them telling them how and when to take each new step. His contempt for some highly renowned scientists was, I had thought, so widely known that men of small stature would be out to shoot him down.

3) He never checked up on people he should and shouldn't trust.

4) He was never emotionally prepared for any reversals, because he never expected any ­ and couldn't really accept them when they came.  He was a genius, but he was also very fragile.

5) His basic philosophy in life was to help people (through his giant intellect given him for this reason), and when "people" were ready to jail him for his acts (good or bad ­ legal or illegal), he fell apart. 


Rick Archer's Take on Royal Rife

During my Internet wanderings, every now and then I come across a statement like this:

I know for an absolute stone cold fact that at least a dozen very effective cancer treatments have been suppressed by mainstream medicine in the last 70 some years.  See my research into some of these treatments and the books referenced on my site for the enormous amount of evidence supporting my conclusions.

- Gavin Phillips [ source ]

I myself am not quite so confident.  I don't know for a "stone cold fact" of any cancer cure that works.  However, if I had to put money on one cure, I would start with this incredible microscope and the other Rife inventions.  The explanations of his inventions are so profoundly well documented that there is not a shred of doubt in my mind that his machines worked just the way Rife claimed they did. 

Do I believe Rife's inventions could cure cancer?  Yes. I was very impressed by the 1934 USC clinical trial that cured 16 terminally ill cancer patients took place. An amazing story.

I found the story of Royal Rife and the loss of his inventions to be deeply disturbing.  Why would anyone in their right mind feel it was okay to sabotage the life work of this obvious genius?  This brings up a very dark question.  Are there people who are actively committed to evil?  If one believes in free will, then this distinct possibility is not easily dismissed.

For just a moment, a very precocious student in college, a young man with a dazzling array of different talents, allows himself to daydream.  His heroes are great scientists like DaVinci and Pasteur.  His contemporaries are Edison and Einstein.  Where will his amazing collection of talents lead him?  Will he someday make a contribution that men of this caliber would respect him for?  

Twenty years pass.

Imagine, for a moment, that this same man has spent the past two decades in painfully laborious research.  He has invented the ultimate microscope. This has allowed him to understand the very nature of disease.  In a brilliant flash of insight, he thinks of a way to kill these harmful viruses without hurting healthy tissue, then has the genius to design the Beam Ray Frequency Machine that can carry out his vision.  This man has discovered an incredibly simple, electronic approach to curing literally every disease on the planet caused by viruses and bacteria.

Indeed, it is a discovery that potentially could end the pain and suffering of the human race and change life on Earth forever.

Now, in a quiet isolated corner of his laboratory, this man wonders if he is on the brink of universal celebrity and the appreciation of the entire human race for his contribution.  Humble man that he is, he probably doesn't even realize just how rich he will be as well.  That was never his goal.  All he ever wanted to do was to use his God-given talents to make a valuable contribution to science. 

Royal Rife was a medical genius who was quite arguably the equal of the most brilliant scientists of all time. 

Can you even begin to imagine that a man who was quite possibly the intellectual equal to any single giant in scientific history actually had his amazing inventions totally erased?

Let's play a game.  Try to imagine a world without Einstein... or Edison...  or Davinci...  or Pasteur. 

Without Einstein, our entire understanding of physics would be gone.  Without Edison, we would still be in the dark.  Speaking of the dark, without DaVinci, there would be no Scientific Revolution in the Dark Ages.  And without Pasteur, we still wouldn't know the origins of disease.  

And what would our world be like without Royal Rife?

We would live in a world where countless millions of people die an excruciating, painful death from cancer every year.  We would live in a world where one in two people can expect to contract cancer in their lifetime.  We would live in a world where the people who wish to cure us are manipulated and dominated by a pharmaceutical drug industry that has the entire medical world under its thumb.  We would live in a country where almost 17% of our income goes to healthcare.

The United States spends a higher portion of its gross domestic product on health care every year than any other country. And what do we get in return?  An industry that is ranked at best 37th in the world for health care performance. 

You and I both agree the United States belongs at the top.  But it isn't going to happen and we all know why.

Leadership. Over the past century, people like Morris Fishbein have been in control.  When they step aside, somehow they have groomed someone just as ruthless to replace them.  Their idea of good medicine is to sabotage any kind of cure that would solve the greatest medical scourge of our time.  Isn't that preposterous?  Whatever it takes to keep to the cancer money train rolling...

Royal Rife, quite possibly the greatest medical genius of our time, was deliberately sacrificed 80 years ago so cancer profits could continue to be reaped today.   

Personally speaking, I have to go all the way back to Jesus to find a fate more disturbing than that of Royal Rife.

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."  Below, the soldiers gambled for his clothes by throwing dice.

Three Quotes From the Obituary of Royal Rife:

E. L. Walker of the George Williams Hooper Foundation, an early-day cancer research organization, hailed the device for its effectiveness against typhoid organisms.

"If this ray should prove equally efficient in killing other pathogenic micro-organisms...
  it would be the greatest discovery in the history of therapeutic medicine."


When the State Department of Public Health held its hearing in 1958 to determine if the Frequency Instrument should be approved as a treatment device, all claims in its behalf were rejected.

The hearing board said clinical research "provided no reasonable substantiated evidence or the effectiveness of the Frequency Instrument, consisting primarily of unverified testimonials of physicians and patients. . ."

The hearing board concluded that the Frequency Instrument wasa useless device."

A turning point occurred in 1958, when the State of California Public Health Department conducted a hearing which ordered the testing of Rife’s Frequency Instrument.  The Palo Alto Detection Lab, the Kalbfeld Lab, the UCLA Medical Lab, and the San Diego Testing Lab all participated in the evaluation procedure.   "All reported that it was safe to use.

Nevertheless, the AMA Board, under Dr. Malcolm Merrill, the Director of Public Health, declared it unsafe and banned it from the market.

Acclaimed by the scientific world in the 1930s for his invention of the Universal microscope, a mechanical marvel containing 5,280 parts and a magnifying power 20 times as great as any then in existence, Rife lived to see some of what he considered his most important work discredited by the medical profession.

[In the late 50s] the Frequency Instruments, used by some doctors across the United States in treating a variety of diseases, were confiscated.  Reputations were ruined and John Crane, one of Rife's associates, served three years in prison before winning a reversal of his conviction on grand theft charges.

Though Rife himself was not prosecuted, his reputation was sullied and he clung to the suspicion that organized medicine had conspired against him in his efforts to rid mankind of the scourge of disease.

He accused the American Medical Association of rejecting his electronic therapy discoveries and implied the organization had "brainwashed and intimidated" his colleagues as well as "feloniously censored" the publication of his work.

"I certify that the AMA and the Department of Public Health have declared war on Rife's Virus Microscope Institute,"
said the affidavit signed Feb. 7, 1967.

"Having spent every dime I earned in my research for the benefit of mankind, I have ended up as a pauper, but I achieved the impossible and would do it again."  - Royal Rife

A useless device or the greatest discovery in the history of medicine?

If we can believe that statistic, 8,000 people were cured of cancer by that useless device.  (source)

Rick Archer, I grow weary of having you repeatedly malign the motives of "the medical establishment" and the intelligence and the commitment to the health of their patients of physicians who do not agree with your point of view.

I shall repeat again that I do not doubt for a moment the sincerity and integrity of the people of American medicine.

But whoever calls the shots at the top has their heart in the wrong place.

How many more millions have to die before someone finds a way to stand up to the miserable bastards who have been ruining our lives for 80 years?



Chapter Five: Morris Fishbein

1 - Current Status 2 - Medical Conspiracy 3 - Burzynski 4 - Royal Rife 5 - Morris Fishbein 6 - Medical Mysteries 7 - Civil War 8 - Twisted Golden Rule 9 - Corruption
SSQQ Front Page Parties/Calendar Jokes
SSQQ Information Schedule of Classes Writeups
SSQQ Archive Newsletter History of SSQQ